Thursday, October 06, 2005

A political reading of Harry Potter®

I was sitting here watching Will & Grace when Karen (the batshit-insane rich woman who works as a secretary to Grace) expresses her love for her little Slytherin boys.

The Harry Potter story has four main factions within the wizarding world:
  • Slytherin, for good or evil, appreciates raw power and personal loyalty
  • Gryffindor values valor and loyalty
  • Ravenclaw values intellect and knowledge
  • Hufflepuff values honor and trust
I realized a beautiful analogy for my view of the current U.S. and British political situation is that we have Draco Malfoy as President, with his daddy Lucius Malfoy as former President, and the aptly named Narcissa Malfoy as former First Lady, but with either Neville Longbottom or Luna Lovegood as Prime Minister. (I suppose that Pansy Parkinson is probably going to be the current First Lady, but really it should be Crabbe or Goyle.)

By the way, just for the record, I don't identify myself as a Gryffindor. I'm a Ravenclaw, through and through.

By no means do I suggest that the foregoing in any way represents the opinion or intent of J.K. Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter books, or of anyone else involved with the Harry Potter story.

P.S.i'm in ravenclaw!

be sorted @ nimbo.net