Friday, December 02, 2005

The amazing new Nightline

I admit, I was a bit skeptical of what would become of ABC News Nightline with the departure of anchor Ted Koppel. However, just as Gwen Ifill confidently took over PBS Washington Week from Paul Duke, the current triumvirate of Nightline anchors has not missed a beat in continuing, and, dare I say it, in some ways improving upon the franchise left them by the giant Ted Koppel. Already, before their first week is through, the Nightline crew has signaled that it will continue the tradition of journalistic depth built by a quarter century of serious news analysis.

For those of my readers who are more apt to watch The Daily Show with Jon Stewart or The Colbert Réport, you should know that Nightline has a new segment called "Sign of the Times," which has a very Stébert/Colwart sort of sensibility to it. It is unfortunate that Nightline airs opposite most of Colbert, but that's why I have two DVRs.