Wednesday, September 12, 2007

One million visitors, 185 countries

No, not in this blog, obviously. As I write this, the blog has had 63,142 visitors from 137 countries, but I have another web site that's been around for ten years and usually gets more traffic. The other site is about telephone stuff, mostly area codes and country codes, and I had to replace the broken hit counter in March 2006. Since the old counter had been broken for a while, and I didn't even have its last count, I set the new counter to start from zero. This afternoon, I had the one millionth visitor, someone in my old home town of Dallas, Texas, who wanted a map of U.S. and Canadian area codes.

In the last 559 days, the LincMad.com telecom site has had a million visitors, hailing from every country on earth except North Korea, Turkmenistan, Guinea, Central African Republic, São Tomé é Príncipe, Comoros, Kiribati, Tonga, Nauru, and Vatican City. North Korea has no connection to the Internet. Turkmenistan is a former-Soviet dictatorship with a personality cult around its recently deceased President for Life, Sapurmurat Niyazov. Guinea is teetering on the edge of becoming a failed state. The Central African Republic has a nominal GDP of less than a dollar a day per person. The other six countries all have populations outnumbered by my hit count, so it might take a while for someone to wander in, looking for an area code or a country code.