Sunday, February 12, 2006

Bad (former) free blog counter!

Those of you who are keenly observant (or obsessive-compulsive) may have noticed that the style of the hit counter for this blog changed today. It's not a huge change, but I'd like to explain the reason for it.

As near as I can tell, BlogCounter.in had a hiccup in paying its bills to its own ISP in India (.in = India). Since my little blog was #1 in their list of highest hit counts, I suspect that their business plan was predicated on having a few sites with more than my meager traffic, and they couldn't make it when those didn't materialize. For a few minutes, I thought that BlogCounter had somehow suspended my account, but then I saw that I couldn't pull up even a generic home page for their whole service. I thus went looking for a new counter service. I chose SiteMeter, because if it's good enough for Skippy the Bush Kangaroo, it's good enough for moi. I'm hoping that SiteMeter will remain in business for a little while longer.

I set the new counter to 3,800, because I believe the actual hits were just slightly above that number. However, by way of full disclosure, the hit counter is now an approximation of the true total. Congratulations, visitor number "3807-ish."