Saturday, January 28, 2006

My comment on the Volokh Conspiracy

I just posted a lengthy comment on the Volokh Conspiracy website, in a thread about Judge Samuel Alito, Senator Dianne Feinstein, activist Cindy Sheehan, and Sheehan's pressure on Feinstein to support the filibuster against Alito.

I won't repeat the whole thing here, but let me just add a few things:

  • Having met Cindy Sheehan personally, I really don't think she's crazy. At the very least, I'm pretty sure she's less crazy than George W. Bush. And yes, I do find many things about her actions not only acceptable and respectable but laudable and generous.

  • Sheehan said that if Feinstein didn't support the filibuster against Alito, Sheehan would run for Senate against her. It would be ridiculously naïve to suggest that Sheehan could possibly unseat Feinstein, but her presence in the race would fuel the relentless media spotlight from an angle DiFi would not find flattering.

  • It is downright unpatriotic to suggest that it is a waste of time to seek consensus on the nomination of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court. If it isn't worth taking the time to reach a consensus vote of either 50 against or 60 in favor of Judge Alito, then what on earth is worth discussing at all?