Thursday, September 13, 2007

Ladrón que aburre a ladrón

I don't often review movies here, especially if they don't have a strong political theme, but I'm making an exception for Ladrón que roba a ladrón, a US-made Spanish-language film about an elaborate heist plan. The title translates roughly as "Thief who steals from a thief," but the only real theft was of my $8 and 98 minutes. I was misled by many gushingly positive reviews on the web, but the story was trite and predictable and the characters were painfully one-dimensional. You have the sweaty mechanic girl and the sweaty macho man who keep arguing but never get to have their make-up sex. You have the inept actor-model-waiter who screws up the simplest task. You have the cool-headed mastermind with a heart of gold and his nemesis the bigshot TV infomercial guru who sells fake cures to the poorest within his own Latino immigrant community. The film has a few bright moments, but on the whole it was boring and derivative. Not utter crap, but consistently mediocre. Highly not recommended.

I don't know if this film is related to the films of the same title from 1997 and 1960, but I can't say I'm eager to find out.

Technorati tags: , ,